My 2.2 cents (GST Inc.)

It is a real prick when your opinions are taxed. Australia least powerful political blog. (Plus any other crap I want to talk about.)

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

National ID Card

As there has been a bit of talk about introducing a new national ID Card for everyone in Australia I figured I might as well say something. It has been suggested that it will be useful as an anti-terrorism measure. I doubt this as it is not going to stop sucide bombers like the London Bombers who managed to hide their intentions from almost everybody they knew.
However it is going to cost a shitload to introduce. I am talking many billions of dollars. Either that means higher taxes or less money for services. And many of those services would be useful in event of a terrorism attack (Defence and health in particular). The money could be be far better spent.
And another point that is often made is that we should not let the terrorist effect the way we live. Having to carry an ID card all the time is going to effect peoples lives. In a way, it is therefore letting the terrorists win. Sure, we need to do things to protect our selves from these fanatics, but a national ID card is not the way to do it.

Update (22/7): As an non-employed IT trained worker, I suddenly realised that this could be a great creator of jobs in the IT sector. Which could mean I could actually get a job where I use those skills I learn at Uni (maybe not the beer drinking however). So on the basis of self interest I am now in favour. And I am like every other Australian when it comes to wasting money I am in favour if it is wasted on me.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:09 am, July 22, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    1. Medicare card
    2. Drivers Lic.
    3. Boat Lic.
    4. Pilots lic.
    5. If this was done right it would merge all these cards onto one, thus reducing production and administration costs and not to mention the big one reduce the full capacity of my wallet as I have to carry all these on me.
    6. If threy were smart they make these smart cards with a chip and we could merge all our banking cards and private health cards and membership cards all on this one card as well.
    7. The majority of information that the govt wants on this card is already available via databases or especially if you have an 'ARN' so there is no reason not to have it.
    8. If in an accident or god forbid a bombing, personally I would love for my full medical history to be fully available via someone picking up my 'Proud to be an Aussie Card' or alternatively if my fingerprints and DNA were also recorded, my body could speak for me if I was unable to.
    9. Most importantly if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear.

     
  • At 10:35 am, July 22, 2005, Blogger B. S. Fairman said…

    So you go boating and flying at the same time? Otherwise there is no point in carrying both. That is the joke.
    Plus you fail to understand that the major problem with intergation is that it would require creating a system so large that it would be extremely cumbersome. Thus being able to update to overcome problems is going to take years. Plus recording data on 20 million people would also take years.
    I just feel that it is a waste of resources, as you have all ready pointed out most of the data can be linked easily by law enforcement, so it is not going to prevent or hinder terrorism. So it is really just pointless.
    Also are you sure you have nothing to hide; you DNA might reveal that you have greater chance of illnesses that you don't want everyone to know about.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home