My 2.2 cents (GST Inc.)

It is a real prick when your opinions are taxed. Australia least powerful political blog. (Plus any other crap I want to talk about.)

Thursday, April 14, 2005

A what if?

If I was to join the Greens, what would I bring to the table other than then my political rat-cunning? I agree with them on most progressive issues, however, the issues I do agree with them on are the ones they were founded on. That is to say I don't agree with them on Green issues, well at least on the ways they hope to deal with the Green issues. However, this would be like a anti-Unionist joining the ALP.
Basically, the thing that is making the Greens attractive to me at the moment is the ALP inability to be a democratic organisation. Hell, the papal conclave is less rigged than a contest in a pre-selection contest in a winnable seat. What the Greens do have is a lot of people who are willing to do the grass roots business on election day. Where as the ALP and the Liberals for that matter are not growing in membership (real members, not branch stacking made ups), the Greens have a large pool of concerned young people.
Anyway, I can't see it happening (that is me joining) in the short term and I am better off using my rat-cunning in other ways (some of you have heard my plan). However, if the ever do end up holding the balance of power at a State level, I can see them doing a lot of good to the ALP.

4 Comments:

  • At 3:28 pm, April 15, 2005, Blogger Potentially Ash said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 7:47 pm, April 23, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What is your plan in detail, when perusing bloggers, I am always looking for ideas. A lot of people have a complaint or a whinge, but what makes people stand out, is a view,an opinion, even if it is different to yours,it is very important to understand the reasoning and emotion behind these views, so that we can better understand how to provide for tommorrows generation. On picking a party to join, the Democrats, Greens, Christion Democrats and even the Liberal-Nationals, all have quite extreme variations from left to right anyone from any political persuasion can easily fit into a specific groove and start changing the party for the benefit of tommorrows generation. If you do not join, you can not effect change and as such may as well as give up the BLOG, which would be a shame as I would like to think that today's Bloggers will be tommorrow's leaders, that is why it is important that when things are discussed, they are discussed in detail, do not make a negative statement unless you can provide a pro active solution. This behaviour is what will change politics for the better in the future. Currently the Liberals or us win an election not by who has the best plan for the future but who can throw the handful of mud and make it stick, with Latham we had no chance and if the current pre-selection process and 'democratic reform' do not change radically and quickly, not to mention the strangle hold of the unions that is slowly choking the momentum out of the party. soon we will be sitting in the backyard of parliment playing stick ball with the democrats.

     
  • At 11:13 pm, April 23, 2005, Blogger B. S. Fairman said…

    Gee... I upset someone. I just have an extreme dislike of the crap that goes on behind the scenes. The Family First preference deal in the senate is prime example.
    The whole reason I don't join is because even if I was in the tent I would be pissing inside but it would be doing no good anyway.

     
  • At 1:15 pm, April 27, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    No, you did not upset me. I was just pointing out that you have the courage to put your view on-line, so why not have the courage to attend a party and speak for what you believe in. The problem these days is that young people only want to have a winge about what is going wrong, and as such because they are not actively involved in one of the big two parties, the people who get pre-selected, are not people that have a passion for politics or most importantly the people who elected us, they are people there for there ego, or because it was their turn on gravy train as it works within our Labor Party. I recently attended my childs school, where my local member was attending a Q & A with primary kids. I do not like blowing my own trumpet and as ususal I sat in the bleachers, my colleague was that caught up with herself that she did not even notice that I was there. Luckily for the party neither was the press, as she could not answer the most basic of questions, how many people are in the lower house, how many woman MP's are there, this she should know being a staunch woman's rights activist from the union movement, but alas she proved to me and the other parents in attendance, why we are not in power Federally and why we do not deserve to be in power, while as a party we continue with the Gravy Train Appointment system.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home