My 2.2 cents (GST Inc.)

It is a real prick when your opinions are taxed. Australia least powerful political blog. (Plus any other crap I want to talk about.)

Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Full Employment: I think not

We now have unemployment sitting at 5.1%. This is very close to official full employment. But that does really mean shit. The number of unemployed who have been shifted to disability penisions to get them off the dole is quiet large.
Then there are people like myself who have casual jobs but really want full time work. Some weeks I work a full time week and others I don't get any work at all. I am going to earn about $25000 this year and will have worked only about 25 hours per week on average.
But what does full employment mean: Higher wages is one thing. Even hospitiality workers are now demanding more. This leads to inflation and higher interest rates. That'll be fun.
Plus we are going to struggle to find people to clean the toilets and do the other shit jobs. They cannot find people to pick grapes at the moment and want to import guest workers from China. I seem to remember that they tried something like this with pacfic islanders in Queensland in the late 1800's. I am not sure that it is a place Australia should go.
I am not saying that full employment is bad but it will be a challenge to manage well. The government have done well when things were easy. Now things get a little harder.

2 Comments:

  • At 2:18 pm, February 17, 2005, Blogger bogan-A said…

    Australia would do well to loosen up on temporary work visas, allow more people with whose countries we have reciprocal arrangements to come for up to 2 or 3 years and do a stint.

    Plenty of aussies would go the other way...

     
  • At 10:29 am, February 18, 2005, Blogger JP said…

    If we can't politically convince the Australian people to hand out more permanent visas, then we should try and maximise the number of temporary visas and loosen up the requirements so people can reapply without penalties at the end.

    My bottom line is that anyone who wants to work here and respect our laws should be welcome. If we are worried about excessive population (which is really just a joke) I'll happily trade the local vandals for migrants . . . if they don't want to make the most of living in Australia, we can replace them with someone who does.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home