My 2.2 cents (GST Inc.)

It is a real prick when your opinions are taxed. Australia least powerful political blog. (Plus any other crap I want to talk about.)

Tuesday, January 18, 2005

When is a rat a Rat?

As I have been watching the whole saga of the Labor leadership (or lack of it) crisis, I have noticed a large amount of talk about the various factions and how certain people couldn't become leader as they are in the wrong faction. Anyway this got me thinking how much backstabbing is needed to make someone a Rat?

I have never been a member of the ALP and have always been repulsed from joining by the factions. However, I have had in the past had a mild assocation with the left of the party at Uni. If I was now to join the ALP and join the Right (something I don't plan on doing) would I be considered a Rat?

1 Comments:

  • At 5:54 pm, January 19, 2005, Blogger Liam said…

    That's a very interesting question.
    I'd say that after having ceased to become involved there's no way you'd be classed as a rat, were you to join again. Rats defect from one side to another for personal gain, generally, which is the evil at the heart of the act.
    Billy Hughes left Labor to become Prime Minister in the Nationalist Government, and became Labor's iconic rat. Mal Colston sold his vote for... well, not much actually.
    This is something I'm planning to make part of my NOLS memoir sooner or later.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home